Monday, August 11, 2008

Great Escape I - The Rollover

So I got a new car 2 weeks ago and of course, I had to have insurance on the car so I called up good ol' GEICO (US residents know who they are) and requested a quote. The rep then asked me about any previous accidents and I said yeah, I have a couple. Well, I ended up listing 3 accidents (only 1 was my fault o) and that got me thinking on how fortunate I've been to have escaped death numerous times. It turned out that for the past 4 years, I've had a great escape every year, so I've decided to come and share my testimonies with you.

First, help me thank God that I survived this past week. My familique ended up going to Disney for like 5 days so I've been catching up on my sleep, movies and games. Aahhhhh, peace at last, well, till Wednesday when they return for another couple of days.

Okay, to the real thing. I'll start with the first one: June 2004; father's day.
My dad used to have this SUV (or 'jeep' as those kind of cars are called in naija) - Isuzu Trooper. The car was nice and all, moved well and being a car enthusiast, I made sure that car was on point; washed, tires shining, interior sparkling. Well, this Sunday, all that wouldn't count. My mom, my sister and I went to church, did church and headed back home with me driving. Our route back home included us taking a highway with a speed limit of 70mph (about 115kmh). We were in the middle of this wooded highway, cruising along at 72mph in the fast lane when I observed that one of the tires on the driver's side was sounding and feeling somehow.

I told my mom that one of the tires was not sounding too good. She just said take it easy, we'll let your dad know and get it checked out. Being careful, I decided to drop to the slow lane and reduced my speed. I looked in the outside passenger mirror and I saw a car beside me so I decided to slow down some more and let the car pass so I can get in the slow lane. At that point, it seemed as if that car was slowing down too because it wouldn't pass me. I believe I had dropped to about 50mph (about 80kmh) by now because I actually looked at the speedometer. Then I heard the noise - BANG!!!

"I'm still in the fast lane, the road is about to curve to the right, the dividing median is just grass, no guard rails, the left rear tire has just blown and the car is seriously pulling to the left, I need to keep this car steady and get it to stop". These were the thoughts going through my head when I heard that sound. The car started pulling to the left towards the median and oncoming traffic and I was trying to steer the car to the right to keep it straight while gently applying the brakes. My sister who was reading a novel in the back thought I was playing and started yelling at me to stop fooling around. My mum who realized what was going on was calling on Jesus, me? I had my two hands on the wheel, looking straight and calculating all sort in my head, because at this point the road was beginning to curve to the right which means I'll have to turn the wheel right twice as much - to keep the car from pulling left and to make the car follow the curve.

I was doing good. I had controlled the car for almost a mile but I think I was more focused on keeping the car steady than stopping the car. I had my foot off the gas but I don't think I was pressing the brake hard enough. Of course, I didn't want to slam the brakes either. At the middle of the curve, the car took a violent jerk to the left which led me to return fire and forcefully turn the wheel right. I wanted to avoid a head on collision at all costs. That turn of the wheel sent the car in an acute right turn and next thing I know, the two right wheels come off the ground and the car lands on it's side and the rumble began.

It was the loudest noise I had ever heard. I was quiet throughout but my mum was still calling Jesus and my sister was still screaming. A million thoughts crossed my mind. I was worried about flying glass cutting my neck and me bleeding out. I could hear everybody else screaming so they are alive but the rumble wasn't over. We were being slammed over and over again. I opened my eyes and I saw glass and dust particles flying around, I closed them again. " Please don't let us land upside down", I prayed and then it got quiet except for the radio still playing gospel music. The engine had shut off. I opened my eyes and looked around. My mum called me and I answered, my sister was wailing in the back. What just happened? There's a bunch of trees right in front of the car and we are on the grass. Thankfully, we landed back on all four wheels or at least what was left of it.

I opened the door and I saw people reaching out and asking if I was fine. I still didn't understand what just happened. "Sit down", "take a seat", everyone kept saying but I wanted to know what happened. "Your truck just rolled over", someone said. "How many times?", I asked. "A lot, about 8 times", someone answered. I felt dizzy, I was staggering. People tried to grab me but I wanted to be left alone, I just crashed my dad's car. Damn!!!

I walked around and my sister was on the floor with one of her toes bleeding. The cops came and the ambulance followed. The fire truck was pulling up also. Cars were lined up on both sides of the road. People were crossing 4 lanes of traffic from the other side to come to our aid. That car was banged up. It looked like someone took a huge hammer and just started beating on the car, but I was fine. All I had were some scratches on my left hand. My sister cut her toe and my mum had no physical injuries. She later had issues from her sternum being compressed by the impacts of the car hitting the ground and I found out later that I had a much milder situation also but we were alive. We all wore our seat belts which held us down. My bible was in the back seat and only my window was shattered. Well, I picked up my bible about 700ft from where our car stopped. The window that was blown out was held together by the tint film and I picked that up even farther out.

Next to where our car came to rest were 3 erected crucifixes which meant 3 people died there. I took a look and it was fresh. I could still the tracks of the car that plowed into those trees, I even saw the glass from that car. I drive by that spot very often now and each time I'm thankful. We didn't need the fire truck or the ambulance. The police wrote their report and the car was towed away. We all survived the accident in a spot that had just claimed 3 lives. I don't like SUVs anymore due to their high chances of a rollover but He that watches over me neither sleeps nor slumbers. I know because I've had more close calls over the next couple of years but I'm still here.

Coming soon: Great Escape II - The Drowning

26 comments:

Buttercup said...

1sssssssssssssst!

off to read..

Buttercup said...

awww glad u've caught up on ur sleep n all the other stuff u do..lol..

whoa! talk about MIRACLES! rolled over 8times?? *shudders*

God is really awesome..im still tryna wrap my head around the fact that u saw 3 crucifixes there.....n u still had time to be upset bout crashin the truck..lol..

wow, thank God...

*patiently waits for "Great Escape II"

Chari said...

WOW...mehn like me, God truly loves you...and if u ask ma mom...she would say those people dey find u mehnn...

Chris Ogunlowo said...

I found a lovely blog.

Hi

Afrobabe said...

Wow, I started getting goosbumps reading that..It was a great escape and testimony…Had my own experience…we thx God for mercies…

Invisible said...

Na God o.
@ Butter... GE II coming soon as soon as these kids get on the plane back to London, lol.

@ Chari ...Make them dey find themselves, I dey under Baba God's cover.

@ Aloofar ... welcome

@ Afro ... His mercies indeed, no doubt.

Mz. Dee said...

oh
my
god.

i feel lyk testifyin in church on ur behalf.
God is rily good mehn..

so so glad ure ok. u got my heart racin with ur vivid descriptions.

off to blogroll u cos i'm insanely addicted.

Lady said...

OH MA GOSH!!!!!!!!!!! I SERIOUSLY THANK GOD FOR U OO..........MEHNNNNNNN..........HMMMMMMMM..........that same spot again!!!!!!!!!!THATS CREEPY MEHNN!!!!!!!!! I DNT LIKE HEARING THINGS LIKE THIS MEHNN.....GOD PLS GUIDE AND PROTECT US..AMEN!!!!!!1
P.S:XOXO

bumight said...

that's a huge testimony right there.

I know they say that when your tire(s) burst the LAST thing you want to do is press your brakes, cos you're DEFINITELY going to roll over.
so they say take ur leg off the gas and slow down but NEVER APPLY YOUR BRAKES!

thank God you're alive to share this story!

badderchic said...

wooow,

this some scary ass sheet. yhank the lord for your lives mein!

Buttercup said...

ok...i hope they go easy on u this time..lol..

*waits patiently*

Invisible said...

Mz. Dee, testify o. Thanks for the shout out

Lady Koko, when my sister saw the crucifixes, she freaked out big time. Thank God though.

Bumight, trust me, at that moment when you're struggling, you don't remember anything. I know I didnt slam the brakes though. The rollover was mainly because the car swerved right and it's a 'top heavy' car so rolling was not a problem. Thank God though.

Badderchic, yup, it was scariest thing, no the second scariest. GE II was the scariest (coming very soon). Again , thank God.

Buttercup, I'm almost done shooting GEII. It will soon be at a cinema near you.

I can't say it enough, my people, it was God. THANK GOD and thank you for stopping by

Enigma said...

*shivers*

Still remember that phonecall...

I actually laughed at first that sunday afternoon, before it hit me that my family would have been no more!...

Yes, INVISIBLE is my younger brother!

Sup bro?

Buttercup said...

enigma n invisible r brothers??? wow ok!

Anonymous said...

Dude...an update would be in order dont u think?

Invisible said...

Yup, Enigma is my brother. I guess I'm a bit more visible now, lol. Watch out GE II in a couple of hours.

badderchic said...

This is so not fair!

I had to guess hard to know who Enigma's brother was and here it is, free for all on the page and this was me feeling happy that I knew somin y'all didnt know. psheew.

@ Enigma, what happened to being anonymous ehn? before we know it, you would put all our names up. plus if you are my 'twins' brother does that make invisble my younger brother too?

@ Invisible,

I know somin that you dont know I know and think you know I dont know but wondering if I know what you think I know that you dont know I know but know I know all that you dont know I know.

whadafork?

Rebirth said...

wow, ur life is a testimony....
im back, thanks for stopping by mine

Invisible said...

So I had a set back in the production of GE II. It's still coming though, rest assured :-)

@ Funms, welcome back.

@ Badderchic, seriously, what the fork??? lol

Buttercup said...

thats interestin...u n enigma being brothers, i mean..

i been stalkin this blog, thinkin GE II wuda been posted so I can be 1st again...its not like im gettin a gift or somn..*hisses*

lol @ badderchic

Mz. Dee said...

grr.. ive been doin d same as buttercup!!

update naaaaaaaaaaaa!

Lady said...

WHAT !!!!!!!!!! MY PAPI AND MY ENNIGGGGGGGGGMA ARE BROTHERS???????? WHAT!!!!!!!!! shit!!!!! i almost messed up my game sha........lolololololol.....(DNT ASK ABEG!)
P.S:XOXO

Invisible said...

Lady Koko, lol @ messing up your game. So who's it going to be?

Cynic, I deleted your abiku comment. I'm not superstitious and I'm not mad (neither am I an abiku) but it was just a tad bit extreme almost personal.
Maybe I'm being too sensitive but that's how I feel. We cool though.

miz-cynic said...

sorry.

Invisible said...

Cynic, it's cool. I no vex.

ibiluv said...

Thank God for ur life......

i once had a close shave like that.......

but err if the limit was 70...why u try 72?......

but no matter how fast /slow one is going,once tire burst na to dey call Baba name o......stay safe.....