Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Great Escape III - The Rear Endings

Alright, after much delays in production and a commercial break, I have finally resumed work on the final episode of the Great Escape series. This one is named The Rear Endings because it involves a couple of rear end collisions.
Very long post alert!


The first one was on a Friday morning in October 2005. I was driving my Corolla jejeli around 7am. I was traveling on city roads trying to make my way to the highway for the 40 minute drive to work. I was on a 2 lane road and was coming up on an crossroad that allowed people leaving their subdivisions to merge on the city road. A car pulled up into the median and stayed there, probably waiting for me to pass so the car could get in behind me. At the time the driver pulled into the median, I was still far away and the person could have merged before I got there without disturbing me but she didn't. Then I guess she thought about it and decided to get in before me, only issue was at this time I was closer and I would have to brake hard to avoid hitting her.

She pulled in and I started flashing my headlights to let the driver know she was pulling a crazy move and I slowed down to let her go but the driver now decided she was going to wait instead and she stopped. Although she wasn't in my lane yet, she had stuck the front end of her car in my lane. I couldn't pass without clearing the front of her car. I slammed my brakes and hit my horns. I wanted to cut into the right lane to avoid hitting her but there was a car pulling in that lane from the other side. I slammed my brakes harder and I was able to stop just before I got to her car and then screeeeeech! BANG!!! BANG!!!

WTF just happened? Someone just plowed into my from the back. Notice there are 2 bangs above. That's because when I got hit from the back, my car was pushed and I ended up hitting the woman that pulled in front of me. At first I was dazed, I was thinking what just happened. I pulled off the road and got out of my car. Obviously, I was missing my left front headlamp and my car sounded like I had a busted muffler or silencer. The car that hit me had a smashed up front. Well in the driver's seat of this car was this cute little chick (here we go again with them pretty young things - PYT).

We did the "are you okay" formalities and what not. The airbags in PYT's car deployed and I was worried for her more cause her car didn't look good at all. I called the police and then called my mum cause I was just like 5 minutes from home. The lady that pulled in front of me was Jamaican and she was just screaming bla bla bla saying I hit her and I did this. PYT and I were looking at her like, "bitch you pulled into the road and stopped". But here, you hit someone from the back, it's your fault. PYT got a ticket and her insurance fixed my car and all. The Jamaican idiot? I don't know what happened her. I wanted her to get a ticket so bad but the cop let her off. I didn't suffer any injuries though and I still went to work with my car making the loudest noise it could make. My boss sent me back home though and my car was fixed within 10 days.



PART 2

January 26, 2006, 1pm.

I had just left work and I was supposed to go to my girlfriend's (now ex) place for some afternoon rendezvous *wink* before I go to school later in the evening. I was actually on the phone with my girl when the crash happened.


There's this junction on the highway where construction was going on. The road was narrow and they were expanding the road but construction meant an even narrower road so there was always slow traffic at this place except for this afternoon. It was strange. I was cruising along and I made the bend to turn to this narrow road and I saw there was no traffic. I was happy - more time for me to enjoy this afternoon. To give you a better view, the road slopes down, then climbs up to become a bridge for a little bit. I was driving my same Corolla, except this time I had done some custom jobs on it. I put custom chrome tail lights, chrome exhaust tip, halo projector headlamps (BMW style), new brakes, new shocks, new tires. It was a stick shift (manual) but I don't race. I speed when I need to but I DON'T race. Of course, people try to race me at lights and what not but I'm smarter than that.


There was a 2003 Corolla in front of me but there was plenty of distance between us. Well, on the bridge was a traffic jam but we couldn't see it because we're on the lower part of the slope. Cars got to the bridge and slowed down. The car in front of the corolla got to the bridge and slammed the brakes, the corolla behind it did the same. I saw the sudden stop and I hit my brakes also and I started hearing the screech. "Why is my car not stopping?" I tried again and it kept screeching, I was slowing down but I was sliding also, time for some quick thinking. I looked to my right thinking I could cut into that lane but there was a car there. There was an exit on the left, I checked my left to see if I could make the exit but there was a blue mazda 626 with a guy sitting in the passenger's side and he had his hand outside. If I cut left for the exit, I will not only hit the car, I will crush the dude's hand and I will probably crash into the median/divider. Then BAM!!! The deed had been done.

I looked up and saw my hood or bonnet all bent up. The airbags didn't deploy which meant I slowed down considerably since those things are supposed to fire at 20mph or higher (except I had a faulty sensor). I got out of the car, the lady got out too, did same "are you okay" formalities. Everyone was fine. Her car looked okay, her rear bumper was just scratched up but my car was messed up. Since it was a narrow road, we were blocking one lane. Traffic guy came and told us to go to a parking lot where a cop later met us. My car was still working though. I drove it home and to the repair shop after I got a ticket, grrrr! I later found out, my tires had less grip on the road because the road had been scraped so they could put a fresh layer of asphalt cause I didn't understand how new brakes, tires and shocks failed me. Of course I lost my custom jobs and till this day, my dad still thinks I was racing when the crash happened and I have never raced before but you have a guy with manual transmission and custom accessories - racer traits.

Well, at the repair shop, they claimed the frame of the car had been bent. Everything else can be fixed except for the frame. To the eye, you wouldn't know but ideal thing is once the frame is bent or damaged, junk it and that was what the repair shop and my insurance did - they sold it as junk. I'm sure the car is back on the streets now as a rebuilt car. Insurance paid me the value of the car though and I went and got a newer model Corolla. I no longer have that car either but it was not due to a crash.

Needless to say, I'm a safer driver now. I do a lot of defensive driving now. You want to overtake? Go! I keep my distance but of course the newer cars have better 'defense' mechanisms also that help. In summary, I just want to thank Baba God again that spared me in all of these crashes. I've seen cars on fire for similar things, people have broken bones, been ejected and killed for these same rear end collisions but I didn't suffer more than a headache.
So for all the great escapes, please give Baba loke 44000 gbosas for me.

Oh, I was playing with my ink blogging last night 'cause I drew some illustrations. I wasn't paying much attention though so I'll insert the drawings later.

36 comments:

Rebirth said...

im first????? yay!!!! let me go read

Rebirth said...

wow, i hope ur middle name is testimony. poor toyota. it suffered. most importantly, ur one of the luckiest if not d luckiest dude i know men.... i should say congrats.... did they increase ur insurance cuz of all these accidents?

miz-cynic said...

2nd,brb.

miz-cynic said...

u gotta a lotta narrow escapes men.

wellsbaba said...

kai....im so late...nolongtin I'll try again!

Rayo said...

i pity ur car oh. thank God u wir unhurt all thru

Anonymous said...

arrrghhhhh!!!!

how now?! how I go reach here late?!

Anonymous said...

ur one lucky asswipe o! cheee! mama must be one kain prayer warrior mehnn!

ibiluv said...

u try o

badderchic said...

10 is a lucky number ye?

Invisible you suppose dey do thanksgiving for church every Sunday.

Invisible said...

@ funms only Toyota suffered? what about me?

@ Cynic, I guess the title "great escapes" was very appropriate.

@ Wellsbaba, no long thing o,

@ Rayo, I'm thankful for each day. BTW, welcome.

@ Chari, you missed this one. See as the guy take style yab me. My papa sef na prayer general

@ Ibiluv, I tried but na God finish the work.

@ badder, I seem to have adopted Enigma's term for you. I think it just rolls off the tongue easily. 10 is not bad.

Enigma said...

Oni wakuwa!!

no lie you were racing jo!!!

ROTFLMAO!!! (imagining the look on your dad's face er'time u came with d news of those rear endings..)

God dey!

Invisible said...

@ Enigma, I don know say na only you go yab person. Your father did give me that look of "what is wrong with this boy". The man has freed me jare.

@ Funms again, I forgot to answer your question. Insurance company had a field day with me mehn. In fact, they are still charging me for that last accident. Because the others were not my fault, they didn't charge me that much.

Buttercup said...

where the hell have i been?? 14th ke?

Buttercup said...

wow...i'll go extra n give Baba Loke 50 000 gbosas on ur behalf!

He really has a purpose for ur life..

and i still cant get why u get a ticket after u've just been involved in an accident even tho it most probably wasnt ur fault..

badderchic said...

I dont know about rolling off the tongue, I mean, why roll off when you can stick it into....OH LORD! this is invisible's page, my younger brother! (tho technically he's probably older) Im not supposed to be talkin dirty durty talk. ah! e be like say me sef be onisokuso. lol

Afrobabe said...

Boy have u been through cars…lol…

its a good thing all this accidents had good endings...was actually expecting a different ending to the one involving PYT...

Invisible said...

@ butter, I don't know where you went o but thanks for the extra 6000 gbosa, He deserves it. lol

@ Badder, eewo. See me giving testimony and you are talking about sticking it in. God go forgive you.

@ Afro, someone was just telling me that last week, lol. I wanted to get PYT's number and maybe arrange a date after or something but 1. I had a girlfriend at the time (one at a time, abeg) and 2. she was a high school kid. I no wan go jail abeg. I think she was 16 at the time.

wellsbaba said...

long post alert!.....I was ready4dis post...I envy ur ride oo but u dey 4k up y u no dey race...lol...if a man witnesses d numba of accidents n near death experinces u hav had no one will tell him no to race...but com2think of it,i think i've been near death more than u hav...if d cat that has 9lives lived the life I life it'd b dead!
i actually hav died long time ago baba God brought me back to life d nxt day (I think,as I was told,lol)

Invisible said...

Wellsbaba, see this man o, na me you want make police give ticket for speeding abi? Racing is not just about the rush, it's also about the responsibility.Some of these kids forget to wear seatbelts and crash, no be me go send them to early grave. Na 44 lives me I get, go ask for 32 more, you never finish, lol.. Thanks on the ride.

theicequeen said...

lol! that car has seen sumtin!! curses to the Jamaican chick mahn..grrr..cannot stand confused people on the road..like, make up your mind already!!

and are you suuuuuure you wer not tempted to race that one time?

Ms.O said...

Wow..really you need to thank God everyday!!!..like wow so many narrow escapes!!!

Axe145 said...

Oh my goodness! You have my dream car. I've been planning on getting an Acura TL for a couple of years. Next year, by the grace of God. Hope you taking car of the car well :D

Zayzee said...

alright. u were right. its a long post. so i will sleep now, wake up and read it.

Invisible said...

@ theicequeen, nope! I was not tempted to race. I'm soo against street racing.

@ Ms O, every now and then, I throw my hands in the air and say thank you Lord.

@ Sabira, the TSX was my dream car but my mum had always said TL. I guess she won. I love it too, it rides and handles beautifully. Don't worry, next year will soon be here for you.

@ Uzeezi, are you still sleeping???

archiwiz said...

I'll have to read them all again from the beginning. Was watching out for an ink post.

Invisible said...

@ Archiwiz, OMG!!! I totally forgot to update it with my ink drawing. All these school work is beginning to weigh me down. If I blog in ink, y'all won't be able to read anything. I'll give it a shot though.

Lady said...

YEA..U DID HAVE racer traits...IF I MUST SAY !!!!!!!!!!LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!1
GOODNESS ME!!!! ALL THOSE ACCIDENTS......God really needs to to be praised mehnn!!!!!!!
P.S:XOXO and pls..do stay safe!!!!!

wellsbaba said...

so bcos u gave us a looong post does dat mean it shud serve us as meal(4 ur longthroat4gist) 4 a week...abeg update o jare me I want gist!...lol..ow u doin?hope ur not playin near death again

NaijaBabe said...

Alll those...only you???haba??

Re: the wardrobe, clothes and things...ermm WE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT!!!

Lol and I have a thing with hangers too...it has to be wooden hangers..no plastic and hell no to metal!!!

badderchic said...

God will forgive you too, sha go and update.

Mz. Dee said...

Ahh.. at least these ones were not as life threatening at the first two!!!

Em.. did this ex happen to be Mz. Dee? :P

Invisible said...

@ lady koko, yes I had racer traits. Nobody puts all those custom jobs on a car just like that but I just did it because I liked the way it looked. I've sped up to 105mph (about 170kph) on my own but never raced.

@ wells, I know bro. This school is hitting me with work though. I'll update by this weekend hopefully.

@ naijababe, all those na me. I get baba loke though.

@ badder, update is coming, as soon as I settle all these professors.

@ Mz. Dee, not as threatening but they could have been equally deadly. The ex is the Mz. Dee. whenever I mention recent or latest ex, I mean Mz. Dee.

Once again, I'll update as soon as possible. Make una no vex but school comes before blogsville for me so as soon as I get this week's share of due assignments out of the way, I'll update. This weekend, hopefully.
Thank you, ese, dalu, merci.

miz-cynic said...

have u read this guy's blogs before????,....he hasnt updated in a while....but i think its a good read..www.boorishmale.blogspot.com.wen, if u've checked it out, lets compare notes

MissBalance said...

Hey AA! This post sure is full of vehicular technical know-hows ... lol! But I'm giving Baba Loke the 44000 with you. Thank God for every.

archiwiz said...

You shouldn't copy from OneNote into the inkblog plugin. Simply ink into the plugin. You can change the paper from plain to lined with the "Toggle Edit Background button. Simply ink as usual, and if you wish to insert recognized ink as text, click that button as well. But note that you don't need to copy your ink from one program to another, except you're going from OneNote to Journal. Somehow, that works.ied and pasted into the ink blog tool but when I click ok, it crashes WLW. I tried copying bit by bit, it works but when it get to a certain length, it crashes WLW.
I can't copy the one note text into word cause it converts it to text.
I was pretty much snipping from posts in Windows Journal, that's why it appears like it does. I've installed Live Writer though, and its working now. Is your OS XP or Vista?